Most seniors who need assistance navigating the challenges of aging prefer to remain in their own homes when possible. It is where they have spent the better part of their lives, raised their children, and shared many memorable family events. Home is where they feel more familiar, more confident, and at peace. This also allows them to feel more independent, which can often help to improve their mental health.
In-home care offers two choices: home health care and home care. How do you distinguish between the two and which one is right for your senior loved one?
Allcare Home Health Agency, Inc. has put together some information to help you to identify some of the key differences between the two services to help you to make an informed decision as you begin your search for agencies and caregivers for your loved one.
Elderly Home Care in Raleigh
Elderly home care offers services and assistance provided by caregivers who are experienced and usually licensed as CNAs. The services that these caregivers provide are not medical but are relevant to a senior’s daily needs such as help with showering, dressing and grooming, medication reminders, meal preparation, light housekeeping and laundry, errands, and transportation to appointments and social events. This type of service may be beneficial for your loved one if any or all of the following applies:
- Needs assistance with handling activities of daily living, such as hygiene, meals, medication reminders, and housekeeping.
- Companionship – The senior loved one lives alone and is at high risk for social isolation or safety is compromised.
- The senior is beginning to show signs of cognitive decline (memory loss).
- The senior is no longer able to drive and needs assistance with shopping or going to appointments.
Elderly Home Health Care
Elderly home health care is a form of assistance that is necessary for someone who requires more medical monitoring or skilled nursing. These services are provided by a CNA, LPN, RN, Physical Therapist, or other healthcare practitioners in the comfort of the client’s home. Common services administered through Home Health Care are as follows:
- Post-hospitalization assistance and monitoring
- Chronic illness monitoring, i.e. diabetes, heart disease, stroke recovery
- Difficulty with mobility, standby assist, transfers
- Introduction to new medication requiring monitoring for side effects
For many seniors, the home comes with a rich network of family, friends, and neighbors. Maintaining these connections plays a major role in a senior’s physical and mental health. Allcare Home Health Agency, Inc. is here to assist with all of your elderly home health care needs. Our experienced caregivers can be there when you can’t be. Call (919) 301-0236 today to schedule a new client assessment with one of our RNs.